Post describes how Power Query (Get & Transform) can be used as ETL tool for SAP Business ByDesign (SAP ByD).
Purely Self-Service BI solution built on Excel for SAP Business ByDesign (SAP ByD).
How to extract master and operational data from SAP ByD using Power Query
Common information can be found in my previous posts, which I’d recommend to go through
From all possible methods of data extraction, I chose Excel + Power Query as the most simple one for Modern Excel data analysts (non-IT pro).
What do we need to start this journey?
SAP Business ByDesign system + user with ability to logon using Username and Password (Basic authentication)
- Excel 2016 or Excel 2010/2013 + Power Query addin
- Sample workbooks, which dramatically simplify life – Metadata Workbook, Simple Report Workbook, Advanced Report Workbook (draft, for large data extraction)
What can help?
- OData for SAP Business ByDesign Analytics – great guide on SAP ByD OData
- SAP help page for 1605 release
- 64 bit version of MS Office, or 32 bit with patch mentioned by Ken Puls in his blog. More data – more memory, simple rule.
- Library of Power Query functions on GitHub
Massive data extraction from SAP ByDesign
Let’s start from the most interesting – extract of large data volume from SAP ByD.